PSYCHIATRIC NURSING OBJECTIVE TYPE QUESTIONS

Psychology and Psychiatric Nursing Objective Type Questions
1. Which comment by a group member should the nurse evaluate as being appropriate behavior during the orientation stage of group development?
1) “I thought the group leader was supposed to help us out.”
2) “It would be easy to say my problems are due to my ex-husband.”
3)  “Let me tell you about my problem with my mother-in-law.”
4) “This group is OK, but I still have a lot of problems.

2. Which strategy should the nurse include in the plan of care for a client with Alzheimer’s disease who is experiencing apraxia?
1) Use clocks and calendars and other orienting devices.
2) Use color-coded signs so the client can find the bathroom.
3) Give simple, sequential directions using both verbal and nonverbal communication.
4) Administer prn antianxiety medication when the client becomes confused. 

3. Which nursing intervention should be given priority to meet the recreational needs of an adolescent client who attends the community mental health center adolescent program?
1) Arrange activities that will promote peer group interaction.
2) Provide the client with equipment for an activity of the client’s choice.
3) Schedule frequent one-to-one discussion sessions between the nurse and the client.
4) Ask the activities therapist to meet daily with the client.

4. A client with alcoholism states that he drinks only when he is frustrated by the behavior of his three adolescent children. Which defense mechanism is the client using?
1) denial
2) sublimation
3) rationalization

4) projection

5. In which of the following situations does the nurse have just cause to physically restrain a client?
1) An older adult client with newly diagnosed Alzheimer’s disease is wandering the halls in the early evenings.
2) A client newly admitted with mania refuses medication and throws a plate and a chair.
3) A client with depression who was recently removed from suicide precautions says, “I still feel like hurting myself.”
4) An adolescent client who is agitated begins to argue loudly with another client about the use of the television.

6. What should the nurse do when a client becomes silent during a nurse-client interaction?
1) Suggest that the client share her thoughts.
2) Direct the conversation to a less intimidating topic.
3) Terminate the interaction with the client.
4) Ask the client a nonthreatening question.

7. Which statement by a client who is having a crisis should take priority for nursing intervention?

1) “I finally moved my family into a house of my very own and I am wondering if I can afford the payments.”
2) “My 10-year-old daughter is spending her first summer away from me at camp.”
3) “My fiancĂ© of six years just called off our engagement.”
4) “I have a best friend who listens to my problems but she is on vacation.”
Multiple choice nursing questions uploaded by www.nursingwork.in